Monday, July 18, 2011

Thessaloniki

After a very long and tiring day, I at last made it to Thessaloniki. I was very worried about today. Quite apart from the incertitude concerning my bike (they took it, although the lady at the check-in desk had to ask her supervisor as the bike wasn't in a bag) I was worried about all the lifting that I'd have to do in the airport but also just preparing my bags yesterday. I'm pleased to report that I've got through it all with only a slight back pain - it'll probably be gone by tomorrow. The bike survived the journey with hardly a scratch despite some very brutal treatment. I spent half of yesterday afternoon wrapping it in pipe cladding and loads of bubble wrap. Good job too - some of the lagging had clearly received a nasty shock.

Bike padded and packed and ready to go! For the outgoing trip, I simply used pipe cladding and lots of bubble wrap
















My bike at the airport after removing the padding. It arrived in almost perfect condition. Bubble wrap and pipe cladding rock!
After over an hour unwrapping the bike and putting it back together - and getting scowled at by the cleaner - I set off...and immediately faced two problems. First, the shoe clips I installed last night didn't fit the pedals (despite the assurance from a witless Decathlon salesman that they were compatible) and secondly my chain felt very rough. Fortunately, there was a big bike shop very close to the airport. And what a friendly place it was! It turned out that my chain was worn out. The guy (who everyone calls the "Doctor") changed it, put the right toe clips on my shoes, and spent over an hour giving my bike the best service it's ever had - and all for free! He charged me for the chain and clips but would't have me paying hor his time. He even offered me a drink...and gave me a big can of oil because I forgot to bring some! The only thing is I forgot my helmet there - so tomorrow I'll go back.

The Motion Bike shop near Thessaloniki airport was a real life saver

So far I haven't seen much of Thessaloniki. It's big and seems very pleasant. It's also very hot. Perhaps I'll have time to have a look later. But first I have to get my bags organised. I didn't have time yesterday - I just threw everything in my paniers and went to bed. Didn't get any sleep though - I was too busy worrying about carrying my bags and being refused at the airport!


The 'Doc' at work on my bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment