Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 5: Zografou - Néa Kalikratia




View Day 5: Zografou - Néa Kalikratia in a larger map

Distance - 101 km
Total distance - 317 km
Altitude Gain - 913 m

No broken tent poles and no punctures this morning! The day started with the last of the climbs of the Sithonia circuit. It wasn't very long but it was quite steep averaging around 8% - not the easiest way to start the day! In Nikiti I stopped off at the little fried food place where I was well looked after that day the heat really got to me. The guy greeted me like a long lost friend and served me a portion of Bougatsa, a typical breakfast for the area made of puff pastry with cream sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon. I've also developed a taste for "frappé" - ice cold coffee. It's really refreshing.

A view of the Aegean from Fteroti

After my little breakfast break, it was time to face the main road to Néa Moudania. As I expected, it was a lot busier on the other side of the road. But it was still really busy on my side and I was sure happy that I was wearing my high-viz flourescent yellow cycling shirt. It'd certainly be difficult to not notice me, but I did need to use my horn a couple of times to avert cars that were about to pull out in front of me. However, just like the last time, the drivers were very respectful and gave me plenty of room. And the fruit seller? He was there, sitting on his chair in the shade waiting for customers. I stopped, gave him a toot with my horn. He shouted "Hi" and tried to communicate something to me. But I couldn't cross the road as the traffic was endless. I just signed that I couldn't come over and waved goodbye. I would have liked to greet him properly, but to attempt to do so would have been dangerous. Besides, I really didn't want to have to carry another bag of fruit!
After lunch, clouds started forming and it looked like it might rain. It didn't, but the temperature dropped significantly and, for the first time since I arrived in Greece, dipped below 30°C in the shade. This made the rest of the ride considerably more comfortable.
I hadn't noticed last time, but the coast road from Néa Moudina has good views on Mount Olympus (how could I not have seen Mount Olympus? Quite simply because it was behind me!) But that's the only thing that I found of particular interest on this road. The countryside isn't really pretty, you rarely see the sea and the road surface is very poor in places.

There are lots of little shrines like these dotted along the road. You can just see Olympus in the backround
In the early afternoon I was back at the campsite and reunited with my passport. I hope it won't be too noisy tonight. But judging by the volume of the music that's already booming away, I think I might be in for a hard night.

No comments:

Post a Comment