Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Day 1: Thessaloniki - Néa Kalikrátia





View Day 1: Thessaloniki - Néa Kalikrátia in a larger map

Distance: 50 km
Total Distance: 50 km
Altitude Gain: 388 m

I slept very well last night. After a long day and enjoyable evening waking around Thessaloniki, I was totally shattered. This morning I still had slight back-ache, but it passed once I'd done my stretching exercises. After breakfast, I set off to a camping store I'd noticed the evening before to get some gas, tent pegs (I always forget something!) and a sun hat. There I was to have another one of those 'encounters' that make cycle touring such a pleasure. The shop owner was really such a lovely, warm man. He was fascinated by my tour and also by my English! He really didn't imagine I was English - must be something to do with my suntan! As a present, he gave me a little but very sharp penknife. Don't know how he knew I needed one!


The White Tower in Thessaloniki. The observant of you will notice it isn't white. However it was once painted white. It has also been called The Tower of Blood - a name which gives a hint of some of the sinister things that used to happen there.

After that I made my way back to the bike shop and checked the directions with an elderly chap I saw. He explained, and then insisted on jumping into his car and showing me the way! It must have been quite commical seeing an old VW Beetle leading a bicycle through Thessaloniki! After about 3 kms of side-streets I was back outside the bike shop. I bid my farewells to my guide and made my way back to see the very rightly named 'bike doctor'. I hope I don't embarass him by saying this, but 'bike god' is what I'd call him. I've never met a more skilled bike mechanic. Anyway, I got my helmet back, was given some tools that were missing in my kit (!), said warm goodbyes and I was off (by the way Stelios - the garage gave me my money back for the wrong oil no probs. Thanks for the letter explaining that it was the wrong sort).
I didn't get very far today. It was a late start and it was really hot - with temperatures getting up to 40°C I had to take it real easy. 

Quelle horreur! Far too hot for cycling!

Every cycling blog of Greece I've seen has a photo of a bike in front of some signs written in the Greek. Here's mine!



No comments:

Post a Comment