Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 3 - Rest

I woke up late this morning, but the lie-in was worth it as I felt very refreshed. The first thing I did was to try to trace my passport. The campsite receptionist was very kind and found the phone number of the campsite I'd stayed at the night before and phoned them up. The passport was indeed there - huge relief! So I arranged with them to collect it when my tour of Sithonia is finished.
I looked at the weather forecast for today and saw that it wasn't going to be as hot as yesteray (only 33°C!) But I decided to stay here all the same. By the time I'd finished looking for my passport and had breakfast (mosly fruit!) it was nearly 10 am. Given that it takes around an hour to prepare everything, I decided that I'd be better off staying here rather than leaving when the sun is nearly at its hottest. Besides, I did promise myself a rest - acclimatizing from Picardy to Greece was never going to be easy - I knew that. Also, it is very windy today - but maybe that's normal in Sithonia during the summer. So, I intend to spend the rest of the day reading.
By the way, concerning driving in Greece. I had heard lots of reports about bad Greek drivers. I have indeed seen some bad driving - especially in Thessaloniki. However, so far I can confirm what I'd read in other cycling blogs - Greek drivers do seem much less aggressive and much more considerate towards cyclists than the Italians, for instance. Yesterday, for example, I was on a very busy and fast road for over 30 kms. I didn't feel at all comfortable. But every single car and lorry that passed me gave me plenty of room - and there was no horn beeping. I hope it continues like that. Last year I was very pleasantly surprised by Italian drivers. But once in the south of Italy things changed for the worse and I felt several times that I was in a dangerous situation. I hope that doesn't happen again this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment